Friday, June 12, 2009

self portrait

I did a self portrait of sorts for my friend Donta's blog, david crockett destroys and thought I'd post the guts on here.

I like animals and creepy crawlies more than my face, so that was the basic theme of it. From conception to finish it took around ten hours, eight of which were digitally coloring it in.

Really, I was itching to do a watercolor, having found my missing 12-color set only to realize why it had gone missing in the first place. I hate them! They are fine when my palette consists of simple variations of the limited colors in the box (giraffes!), but trying to mix them is a bear and.. oh, I just got frustrated. So I took a p
hoto of the watercolor abortion and uploaded it to Photoshop so I could use my man's Wacom monitor and stylus pen to color it in. Viola!


Here are my references:
The rough draft (this is was the base I colored over in Photoshop):
And the final result:
I enjoy the convenience of digitally coloring. Not so much the lack of mess (I like making messes), but the fact that I can change a gesture or position of something drastically without having to start over. That if I make a stray stroke, Ctrl + z fixes it with no trace of the mistake. The downside to digital coloring is that everyone's monitor is different and therefore see it differently. That happens with digital reproductions of art as well, but at least there is an original in a museum somewhere showing it's true hues.

No comments:

Post a Comment